Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day SIX of the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!

Saturday- Challenge to do more.....


Hand Washing in a Hotel bathroom
Throughout this week I have been constantly thinking how using flats would have fit into my life when my daughter was a baby. Would it have been practical for me to use flats and hand wash them? Back on Day ONE of this challenge I blogged about why I chose to do this challenge and shared that I was a teen parent and struggled at times to diaper my baby. Now, almost 16 years later, I am in a very different position financially and I am able to afford more things than I could back then. Looking back at my past experiences gives me a different perspective on this challenge. Each purchase caused me to think how the same thing could have been accomplished if I were still living below the poverty line.

Goodwill diapering finds
There are many reasons why a person with limited income can use flat diapers. I also see some challenges that would need to be addressed. I am fortunate to live in the suburbs of Chicago. There are three or four cloth diaper stores and two Ikea stores within an hour of my house. I also have the ability to get to these stores in my car or by public transit.  A person living in a rural area or some one with limited access to transportation would have a harder time being able to get all of the supplies needed. Obtaining covers for a smaller baby would probably be the most challenging. Stores like Walmart and Target only carry rubber pants in 18 month size and bigger. Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby do carry rubber pants in infant sizes but those two stores are not as wide spread. Many parents that choose to cloth diaper their babies are able to turn to the internet to be able to order covers. But what if you don't have internet? What if you don't have a credit card? Or no address to have something shipped to? How can a person obtain covers to use over flats in these situations?

I love the idea of raising awareness about cloth diapering. I love the idea of diapering for little to no money. I like the idea of educating lower income parents about cloth diapers and offering them alternatives to disposables. I love the idea of babies being in fresh diapers when they need them and not being left in dirty disposable diapers because diapers are so expensive. My challenge to any one reading this is to think outside of your comfort zone and try to put your self in the place of some one that is struggling to survive. Is there a non-profit agency that works with young mothers near you? Would you be willing to teach other mothers how to use flat diapers? Is there a way you can step up and work on putting together a program that helps supply the diapering and washing supplies needed to parents that don't have the internet access you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment